In order to transition from your Golden Visa to becoming a Portuguese citizen one of the requirements you need to meet is to pass the language exam CIPLE (Certificado Inicial de Português Língua Estrangeira). This is to aid you in understanding the basic language once you immigrate and help you adjust in your new city. As a relatively easy procedure, you only require 55% to pass the exam within an A2 level which is set as the simplest level. The Portuguese language proficiency holds 3 levels, A for beginners, B for intermediate and C for advanced. These levels all have 2 stages each – A2, A1, B2, B1, C2 and C1.
When applying for your citizenship, you are not required to take the Portugal Language Test if you are:
- Over the age of 60
- Are from a Portuguese speaking country
- Hold a certificate stating you have a higher level of Portuguese than A2 (B1, B2, C1 or C2)
- Are seriously ill or handicapped
Children under the age of 10 will be able to take an adapted version of the exam.
The exam is held at various accredited exam centres within the country. You will require your passport and the examination fee which will be communicated to you via the company you are using. The exam consists of 3 parts which include reading and writing, listening and speaking and you will have 2 hours to complete it.
- The reading and writing part of the exam makes up for 45% and you will be required to read a news article or even a short story and answer questions based on what you have read.
- The listening part of your exam will comprise 30% and last 30-minutes where you will be required to listen to conversation and answer questions based on this.
- The final part of your exam will last 10 to 15-minutes, making up 25% where you will be required to enter a dialogue, usually with another applicant and practice daily conversation or use basic phrases.
While the Portugal Language Test is relatively easy, if you do not pass it you will still receive a temporary residence permit which gives you time to live in Portugal until you pass your exam and will then receive permanent residency.
With 12 Star Capital you are guaranteed a successful Golden Visa application. With an expert team guiding the way and ongoing support at every step of your application, you won’t be far from starting the ultimate journey to Portugal.